Office information and hours
VCU Medical Center Ambulatory Care Center
417 North 11th Street
Richmond, Va. 23298
For appointments, call (804) 828-7069
Neuroscience Orthopaedics and Wellness Center
11958 West Broad Street
Henrico, VA 23233
For appointments, call (804) 360-4669
Website: Neuroscience Orthopaedics and Wellness Center
- Residency: University of Rochester – Orthopaedic surgery
- Residency: Northwestern University – General Surgery
- Medical school: Northwestern University
- Undergraduate study: BS in Medicine, Northwestern University
Board certification and licensure
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery certified
- American Academy of Orthopaedic surgeons
- Orthopaedic Trauma Association
Dr. Kates is a fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, member of the Orthopaedic Trauma Association, member of AOTrauma, and American Orthopaedic Association
Dr. Kates is past president of the International Geriatric Fracture Society. He is chairman of the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at VCU Medical Center and recently received the 2015 Orthopaedic Research Society/CORR Richard Brand award for outstanding orthopaedic research. He is chairman of the AOCID Advisory committee, is a member of the AO North America Research committee and the AOA Own the Bone Committee. He serves as a national work group leader for the American College of Surgeons NSQIP Hip Fracture Targeted Registry. He serves as Principal Investigator of the AOTrauma Clinical Priority Program on Bone Infection.
Dr. Kates is actively involved in study of bone infection, geriatric fracture care, and orthopaedic outcomes.
View listing of recent publications on PubMed.